21 Day Fix Extreme is the follow-up to Beachbody’s 21 Day Fix, which I just completed a few weeks ago.
I finished 21 Day Fix Extreme week 1 a forth-night ago but I only just got round to uploading the update this week.
I am so happy these days because it’s finally spring and gloomy mornings are mostly gone. I’m definitely more motivated to get up and work out now.
If you’re just getting into working out, then you want to start with 21 Day Fix workout. You can read my weekly updates and final review of that program HERE.
21 Day Fix Extreme Week 1
21 Day Fix Extreme takes things up several notches from 21 Day Fix and aims to deliver even better results in the same time frame – 21 days.
21 Day Fix Extreme is not for someone who isn’t already on a certain fitness level because there are so many advanced moves.
21 Day Fix Extreme Equipment
- Yoga mat
- 2 – 3 sets of weights (I used 8, 10, and 12 lb dumbbells)
- Resistance band with handles
In 21 Day Fix, you can use weights or a resistance band but you need both for 21 Day Fix Extreme. I also recommend knee support.
Day 1 – Plyo Fix Extreme or Power Strength Extreme
Plyo Fix Extreme is a lower body workout that involves quite a bit of jumping and resistance to get your metabolism really cranked up.
Day 1 of 21 Day Fix Extreme involves 5 rounds with 2 exercises each. Each exercise lasts 30 seconds with a 30-second break before the next one.
Plyo Fix Extreme requires light and medium weights and is an average of 30 minutes with a warm-up and warm-down session.
- Round 1 – Squat jump with weights and split lunge jump with weights (left and right side) x 2
- Round 2 – 1 leg squat jump with weights (left and right side) and sumo squat jump with weight x 2
- Round 3 – Burpee with a tuck jump and squat hop with weights x 2
- Round 4 – Twisted skaters and calf jump with weights x 2
- Round 5 – Squat thrusts and sumo squat hops with weight x 2
- Bonus round (even though I knew this was coming, I was still mad when it showed up) – X-parallel squat x 1 minute
I’m not even gonna lie. All the full-on lower body focused jumping with weights was hell from start to finish.
The only time I felt my body experience some freedom was during the calf jumps. lol.
For week 2, I tried Power Fix Extreme and will include that in the next 21 Day Fix Extreme update.
Day 2 – Upper Fix Extreme and 10 Min Hardcore
Day 2 involves 2 workouts. Upper Fix Extreme is all upper body workout to sculpt the chest, back, shoulders, and arms.
Upper Fix Extreme involves 3 rounds with 4 exercises each. Each exercise lasts 30 seconds with a 10 – 20 second break before the next one.
Upper Fix Extreme requires light and heavyweights and a resistance band.
The workout is an average of 30 minutes with a warm-up and warm-down session.
- Round 1 – Full push up with half push up, wide grip lunge with weight switch (left and right side), chest flys with weight switch, and band lat pull x 2.
- Round 2 – Military press with weight switch, twisted abs with weight, post delt fly with hold, and dolphins x 2.
- Round 3 – Hammer curl with weight switch, tricep dip with leg up dip, isolated curl with weight, and kickbacks with weight switch x 2.
10 Min Hardcore is focused on the abs and core strength. I jumped right into this then went back to Upper Fix afterward for the warm down.
10 Min Hardcore requires 1 medium weight (I used a heavyweight) and a yoga mat.
Each workout is a minute long with a 10-second break in-between. No warm-up or warm-down.
- Knee drops
- C-curve passes
- Hip drops
- Leg lift crosses
- 1 arm rotations
Working my upper body is my favorite thing so I thoroughly enjoyed this workout even though it was quite tough.
The first time I did Upper Fix Extreme in 2016, I was not able to do 10 min hardcore after it because I was so sore.
I did not have that trouble this time around. Growth y’all!
Day 3 – Pilates Fix Extreme
Pilates Fix Extreme is an intense mat exercise that targets the entire body with an emphasis on working the core.
Pilates Fix Extreme involves 3 series of exercises. Each exercise lasts 1 minute with a 15 – 20 second break before the next one.
Pilates Fix Extreme requires a resistance band and a yoga mat.
The workout is an average of 30 minutes with a warm-up and warm-down session.
- Ab series – roll down, hundreds, scissors, circle teaser, frog leg drop, curve flat back, Russian curve, heel curve, and heel press.
- Lower series – abductor lift (left and right side), bird dog press (left and right side), fire hydrant (left and right side), and hamstring curl (left and right side).
- Upper series – superman, swans, and camel front raise.
If you followed my 21 Day Fix updates, you know Pilates Fix really dealt with me so I was a little scared going into Pilates Fix Extreme.
However, apart from a few tough ones, I was able to keep up with the pros in the video without modifying.
Day 4 – Lower Fix Extreme and 10 Min Hardcore
Lower Fix Extreme is all lower body and works and strengthens the glutes, quads, hamstrings, and calves.
Lower Fix Extreme involves 4 rounds with 2 exercises each. Each exercise lasts about a minute with a 10 – 15 second break before the next one.
Lower Fix Extreme requires light and medium weights and a resistance band.
- Round 1 – Squats (weights) with squat jump and lunge (weights) with kicks (left and right side) x 2
- Round 2 – 1 leg squat (weights) with jump and side lunge (weights) with leg lift (left and right side) x 2
- Round 3 – Sumo squat (weights) with jump and back lunge (weights) with plyo lunge (left and right side) x 2
- Round 4 – Band heel press (left and right side) and lat band walk x 2
I don’t love lower body workouts but I don’t hate them either.
This is a mix of squats and jumping so expect your glutes and thighs to be on fire by the end of this workout and even more the next morning.
The 10 Min Hardcore was a bit harder on day 4 but I still forced myself to go through it since it’s mostly with my back on the ground.
Day 5 – Cardio Fix Extreme
Cardio Fix Extreme combines weights with cardio to keep your heart pumping for 30 minutes straight. But in a good way.
Cardio Fix Extreme involves 4 rounds with 2 exercises each. Each exercise lasts about a minute with a 15 – 20 second break before the next one.
Cardio Fix Extreme requires only light and medium weights.
- Round 1 – Low high squat with weights (left and right side) and plank kicks + run in place for 30 seconds
- Round 2 – Jack press jump with weights and back lunge kick with weights (left and right side) x 2 + high knees for 30 seconds
- Round 3 – Sumo squat curl with weights and fast feet x 2 + jumping jacks for 30 seconds
- Round 4 – Clean lunge jump with weight (left and right side) and shuffle burpee x 2 + twisted skater with weights
I think I’ve mentioned a few times I despise cardio but this workout included weights as well so I ended up sort of liking it.
Anyway, after Plyo Fix Extreme and Lower Fix Extreme, my body was primed for anything else this workout was going to throw at me.
Day 6 – Dirty 30 Extreme or ABC Extreme
You have an option to opt for Dirty 30 Extreme or ABC Extreme for day 6. I went with Dirty 30 Extreme for week 1 and ABC Extreme for week 2.
Dirty 30 Extreme focuses on several body parts at a time and burns even more calories.
Dirty 30 Extreme requires light and heavy weights and involves 3 rounds with 2 exercises each round.
Each exercise lasts for a minute with a 10-second break between each workout.
- Round 1 – Half moon curtsy with weights (left and right side) and squat press with weights x 2
- Round 2 – Push up row with weights and sword pull lunge with weight (left and right leg) x 2
- Round 3 – Squat row with weights and lunge row curl with weights (left and right leg) x 2
- Bonus round – Plank crunch with weight (left and right side)
Ok, I loved this workout! It was tough but it was the good kind of tough. It also went by quite fast.
Day 7 – Yoga Fix Extreme
Yes, peace day! No jumping, no running, no pain, only stretching. But the stretch is way more advanced than 21 Day Fix yoga workout.
All you need for Yoga Fix Extreme is a yoga mat. The workout is 30 minutes approx without a warm-up or warm-down.
This workout will test your strength, balance, flexibility, and power to the max.
Autumn takes you through a series of moves that involve some very serious stretch for your muscles.
Here’s a Facebook update I made after finishing Yoga Fix Extreme. lol.
I really liked this workout to the point where I’m thinking of adding a full yoga program somewhere in my fitness rotation this year.
21 Day Fix Extreme Week 1 Meal Plan
21 Day Fix Extreme comes with a meal plan that’s a little bit stricter than 21 Day Fix but it still utilizes portion control.
If you’ve been following my blog for a while, you know I don’t stick to the meal plans strictly because I’m such a picky eater.
I upped my daily calorie level for 21 Day Fix to 1,400 calories because the workouts are so intense.
For 21 Day Fix Extreme week 1, my breakfast was tomato, carrot, and fennel soup, and a cereal bar.
My soup also contains a lot of additional veggies and herbs like celery, capsicums, ginger, garlic, basil, and cilantro. I will share the recipe soon.
My snacks were roasted almonds and olives. I had a weird craving for crunchy vegetables so I kept chomping on lettuce leaves all week as well.
Dinner is my main meal of the day and I like to experiment with new ingredients. For week 1:-
- Thai coconut curry soup with chicken and rice noodles
- Steamed rice and beef stew
- Thai lettuce wraps with chicken
I meal prep for weeks in advance so I usually have the same thing for dinner x 3 days then switch to something else.
This may come as a shock but I also gave up chocolate for week 1. I was trying out something.
You can also have a look at the Fixate Volume 2 cookbook with 102 new recipes for you to try out.
Memorable Motivational Quotes from Week 1
21 Day Fix Extreme was full of loads of motivational quotes throughout the week so I narrowed it down to the 3 that stood out to me.
You’re not going to wake up to the body you want. You’re gonna have to work for it.
It’s not always easy but it’s worth it.
Winners are not people who never failed. They are people who never quit.
21 Day Fix Extreme DVD
If you buy used DVDs, you can get the 21 Day Fix Extreme set of matching food containers separately HERE.
I will upload 21 Day Fix Extreme week 2 in the next week or so. If you want to be notified when the post goes live, you can sign up below.
This post contains affiliate links which means I will make a small commission if you purchase through those links. The proceeds help me to keep Fitness At Every Age online. Read full disclosure HERE.