Welcome to my weekly updates of the 21 Day Fix workout by Autumn Calabrese.
I am doing a hybrid of 21 Day Fix and 21 Day Fix Extreme so this workout will be 6 weeks long.
I will also be sharing my favorite 21 Day Fix meal plan over the next few weeks.
My diet doesn’t follow the meal plan exactly but I take ingredients and calories into consideration to create a meal plan that works for me.
What is the 21 Day Fix Workout?
The 21 Day Fix workout is designed to help you lose weight fast and improve your diet habits.
The program features fun, fast, and effective workouts that don’t feel like work. Until you wake up the next morning that is.
I like that the workout also preaches one of my biggest fitness recommendations – portion control without the need to be a calorie-counting maniac.
It’s how I’m able to eat pretty much anything I like and still look fantastic.
Starting with 21 Day Fix and then progressing to 21 Day Fix Extreme ramps up your results.
Quick summary of week 1 includes:-
- Day 1 – Total Body Cardio Fix
- Day 2 – Upper Fix
- Day 3 – Lower Fix
- Day 4 – Pilates Fix
- Day 5 – Cardio Fix
- Day 6 – Dirty 30
- Day 7 – Yoga Fix
21 Day Fix Workout Week 1
21 Day Fix – Total Body Cardio Fix (Day 1)
This workout is all cardio but with weights. You need two sets of weights or a resistance band and a mat for this workout.
Day 1 of 21 Day Fix – 4 rounds with 2 exercises each. Each exercise lasts a minute with a 20-second break between each move.
Day 1 of the workout is 30 minutes approx with a few minutes warm-up at the beginning and the end of the workout.
- Round 1 – Surrenders (right and left knee) and side shuffles x 2
- Round 2 – Squat wood chop (right and left side) and x-country skiers
- Round 3 – Weighted jog and knee pulls (right and left knee)
- Round 4 – Frog crunches and oblique crunches (right and left side) x 2
The hardest part of this exercise was the surrenders. If you can’t keep up with an exercise, switch to the modified version or use a lighter weight.
I switched between the heavy and light weights throughout.
21 Day Fix – Upper Fix (Day 2)
Upper fix, as the name implies, is all about the upper body. You need two sets of weights or a resistance band and a mat for this workout.
Day 2 of 21 Day Fix is 2 rounds with 5 exercises each. Each exercise lasts a minute with a 15-second break between each move.
Day 2 of the workout is 32 minutes approx with a few minutes warm-up at the beginning and the end of the workout.
- Round 1 – Bent over row, transverse twist, push-ups, forearm plank, and curl to press x 2
- Round 2 – Lat pullovers, circle crunches, chest press, scissor twists, front raises, and x 2
I maxed out the weights for day 2 because I love the challenge of upper body workouts.
I like sculpted arms and shoulders and spend a lot of time working on this part of my body.
21 Day Fix – Lower Fix (Day 3)
Lower fix focuses on working the lower part of the body. You need two sets of weights or a resistance band and a mat for this workout.
Day 3 of 21 Day Fix is 4 rounds with 2 exercises each. Each exercise lasts a minute with a 15-second break between each move.
Day 3 of the workout is 30 minutes approx with a few minutes warm-up at the beginning and the end of the workout.
- Round 1 – Side-back lunge and squat-knee raise (left and right side) x 2
- Round 2 – Curtesy lunge (left and right side) and calf raises x 2
- Round 3 – Split squat with a 10-second hold and sumo squat with a 10-second hold x 2
- Round 4 – Thigh leg lift and quad raise (left and right side) x 2
- Bonus round (this made me mad) – Fire hydrant (left and right side). You’re definitely gonna need a child pose after this one.
These exercises were simple and tough at the same time.
The test of whether this workout did its job is if you can walk properly the next morning.
Usually, your quads and butt will be crying out for mercy but that’s good. Go about your day through the pain.
21 Day Fix – Pilates Fix (Day 4)
Pilates isn’t a part of my workouts so this one was a special bit of hell for me to get through.
This workout is pilates-inspired. You need a mat and towel for this workout.
Each exercise lasts a minute with a 20-second approx break between each move.
Day 3 of the workout is 33 minutes approx with a few minutes warm-up at the beginning and the end of the workout.
- Ab Series – Hundreds, leg stretch, scissors, and leg raises x 1
- Plank Series – Alternating leg lift, alternating knee pulls, and alternating toe taps x 1
- C Series – C center, C twist, and knee drivers x 1
- Side Series – Two-way kicks, bicycle front, bicycle back mix the bowl, stir the pot, reverse, double taps x 1 on each side (Good lord, this set was painful)
- Superman Series – Superman, lift and rotate, and swimming
- Plank Series (Yeah again but something else) – Plank hold, hip drop, and a 10-second plank
I was very happy to see the end of this workout. Even though it was super tough, I got through it without having to modify any moves.
The morning after the pilates fix, it took roughly 5 minutes for my lower body to communicate with my brain.
21 Day Fix – Cardio Fix (Day 5)
You only need a towel for this workout and trust me, you’re going to need it as it’s a pretty intense workout.
Day 5 of 21 Day Fix is pure cardio – 4 rounds with 2 exercises each. Each exercise lasts a minute with a 20-second break between each move.
Day 5 of the workout is 33 minutes approx with a few minutes warm-up at the beginning and the end of the workout.
- Round 1 – Crossjacks and high knees x 2
- Round 2 – Skater jumps and mountain climbers x 2
- Round 3 – Reverse lunges and burpees x 2
- Round 4 – Lateral squats and oblique knee pulls x 2
- Bonus round (again with this) – Down and ups x 2
I’ve never been a big fan of a workout that’s all cardio from start to finish but this is only one day so I got it out of the way.
21 Day Fix – Dirty 30 (Day 6)
Dirty 30 is an all-over body workout. You need two sets of weights or a resistance band and a mat for this workout.
Day 6 of 21 Day Fix is 4 rounds with 2 exercises each. Each exercise lasts a minute with a 15-second break between each move.
Day 6 of the workout is 28 minutes approx with a few minutes warm-up at the beginning and the end of the workout.
- Round 1 – Alternating side lunge and renegade row (left and right side) x 2
- Round 2 – Sumo row and chest fly raise x 2
- Round 3 – Squat lat raise and tricep kickback x 2
- Round 4 – Side bend and side plank raise (left and right side) x 2
Total body workout encourages flexibility. I was just happy there was no bonus round on day 6.
21 Day Fix – Yoga Fix (Day 7)
If you’re worried about there being no specially assigned rest day, yoga fix is the rest/recovery day.
I promise you your body will love this workout. Loads of stretches. You only need a mat and towel for day 7.
Day 7 of 21 Day Fix is 31 minutes approx with a few minutes warm-up at the beginning and the end of the workout.
- Series 1 – Chair pose, crescent pose, vinyasa, warrior 1 and 2, angle pose, vinyasa, and chair pose
- Balance Series – Balance pose, tree pose (left and right leg), forward bend, and triangle pose (left and right side)
- Series 3 – Modified cobra, superman, bow pose, child’s pose, shoulder stretch (left and right side), cat-cow pose, bird dog, (left and right side), and child’s pose.
- Stretches – Runner stretch, glute stretch, twist (left and right side), butterfly, straddle stretch, straddle side, supine twist, and corpse pose.
My body really appreciated this workout after the beating it received the 6 days before.
After the yoga workout, I didn’t feel like I needed a rest day and jumped right into week 2.
Throughout all the videos, you have Kat modifying so you can follow her if you can’t keep up.
And if you only have a resistance band, there’s someone using a resistance band exclusively in the videos as well.
Meal Plan – Week 1
The meal plans included with 21 Day Fix are quite creative and leave you room to eat almost anything within reason.
Personally, I don’t follow meal plans exactly because I’m a picky eater and I don’t like a lot of things.
Additionally, sometimes ingredients are hard to find where I am so I have to modify accordingly.
My calorie level for 21 Day Fix is 1,200 calories per day.
For 21 Day Fix week 1, my breakfast was an apple, Wow butter, and a cereal bar. On some days, I threw in a bagel as well.
My snacks were 1 – 2 handfuls of roasted almonds and water while dinner consisted of one of the following:-
- Baked salmon and sautéed spinach
- Basic chicken pho stuffed full of veggies
- Jollof rice and chicken
- Tomato and cucumber salad with basic dressing
I also threw in loads of steamed carrots and olives and I drank ginormous amounts of water as usual.
If you’re having trouble getting more water into your day, read How Water Helps With Weight Loss.
I consumed no alcohol, tea, or coffee, but I ate some chocolate of course.
I was a little bit more creative with the meal plan for week 2. I’ve been enjoying experimenting with food since the beginning of the year.
There’s also the FIXATE Cookbook, which includes 101 recipes you can use while on the 21 Day Fix program.
21 Day Fix Workout Schedule Printable
The 21 Day Fix DVD bundle includes an elegant themed schedule you can place on your wall and mark off the days.
From day 15 – 21, you can also double up and do 2 exercises for 50 – 60 minutes each.
I’m not sure I have this much time to work out but I will try for some days. However, this is only a suggestion. You can stick to the regular schedule.
I created my own 21 Day Fix workout schedule and will add it to the other schedulers for subscribers shortly.
Memorable Motivational Quotes from Week 1
There were a lot of quotes I loved from this week so it was a bit difficult to narrow it down to the best 3.
“It doesn’t get easier. You get better.”
“If you’re tired of starting over, stop giving up.”
“You can’t wish for it, you have to work for it.”
Where to Buy 21 Day Fix Workout?
You can grab the 21 Day Fix workout program HERE.
Don’t get confused with all the upgrades. This is the basic set you need to get started with 21 Day Fix.
A hybrid program combines similar workouts one after the other for more effective results.
Both programs are 6 weeks in total and I will be uploading an update every week or so for the next 6 – 8 weeks.
If you want to get the weekly updates in your inbox, be sure to join the notification list HERE.
Subscribers also get access to some super awesome health and fitness freebies. Stay fit!